This year we had the highest number of votes for resolutions since the individual selection process was introduced, with over 105,000 selections cast by members.
The results of the 2019 resolution shortlist selection process are:
|Improving plant biosecurity||13,010|
|Trees – improving the natural landscape||18,959|
|Pelvic floor education||8,401|
|Suffering in silence – menstrual health taboo||8,912|
|Decline in local buses||35,194|
|Don’t fear the smear||20,825|
|Total selections received to date||105,184|
To allow members to work on a breadth of issues, the NFWI Board of Trustees has decided to put forward the top two resolutions to the NFWI Annual Meeting in Bournemouth on 5 June.
The resolutions are:
A call against the decline in local bus services
Over the last decade there has been a massive decline in the number of bus services, particularly of those in rural and semi-rural areas. In order to alleviate loneliness, improve health and wellbeing, as well as promoting sustainable development, the NFWI calls on the government and local authorities to increase subsidies and work in partnership with bus companies and community transport operators to enable an adequate provision of services.
Don’t fear the smear
Cervical screening saves around 5,000 lives a year, yet attendance is currently at its lowest for a decade. The NFWI urges WI members to attend routine screening, to take action to raise awareness of the importance of cervical screening and address barriers to attendance to help eradicate cervical cancer.
Next steps – voting
- WIs should now consider how they wish their delegate to vote at the Annual Meeting.
- All WIs get one vote per resolution – for or against.
- WIs may give their delegate discretion to decide how to vote after hearing the speakers’ presentations for and against the resolutions and the debate at the Annual Meeting. Please ensure your WI makes it clear to your delegate whether you are granting her discretion.
- We also encourage WIs and federations to hold discussion events for members to consider how they wish their delegate to vote.
Find a selection of resources below to help you learn more about the resolutions:
- Detailed briefing notes, including links to videos – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- PowerPoint presentations on the topics – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- Quizzes to test your knowledge – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- A Frequently Asked Questions document about the resolutions process.
- A discussion guide with ideas about how to discuss the resolution in your WI.
- Printer-friendly versions of the briefing notes – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
If you have any questions about instructing your delegate please contact your federation.
If you have any questions about the Annual Meeting resolution or the resolutions process please contact our Public Affairs Department at email@example.com.
If you or any members of your WI have a keen interest in public affairs, why not subscribe to NFWI’s Public Affairs Digest. It’ll be delivered by email straight to your inbox every month. Click here to subscribe.