Pat Mallet of our own Home Economics & Craft sub-committee shares this recipe for a delightfully fresh Risotto Primavera with us.
1 small onion and a small leek
Spring/summer vegetables such as asparagus and/or broad beans (about 220g or 8 oz in total)
50g/2 oz frozen peas
150g/ 6 oz risotto rice
Approximately 500/600 mls/25 fluid oz vegetable or chicken stock
A tablespoon of fromage frais or Philadelphia soft cheese or crème fraiche
Grated parmesan cheese to serve
A little oil
Salt and pepper
- Soften the onion and leek in the oil.
- Discard the woody ends of the asparagus and cut the rest of the into 1 inch/2 cm lengths. Keep the tips separate.
- Add the rice and salt and pepper to the onion and leek and stir gently, then add most of the stock and bring up to the boil. Turn heat to a simmer.
- After 5 minutes add the asparagus stems and mix in.
- After 5 more minutes add the asparagus tips and the broad beans and peas. You might need to add more stock at this point.
- Simmer for another 4-5 minutes, stirring gently until cooked.
- Stir in the soft cheese or fromage frais and turn off the heat straightaway.
- Serve with grated parmesan (optional).
This is a very tasty dish and makes a little asparagus go a long way!