Veryan WI’s August meeting is usually a garden visit. This time the group went to Tregrehan Garden, just outside St Austell. Tregrehan has been owned and lived in by the Carlyon family since 1565, the current owner being a descendant.
The garden was largely laid out by Edward Carlyon in the 1840s and continues today under the current owner, who is a plant collector. The garden is famous for its champion trees and shrubs from all around the world, which create a temperate rainforest in its sheltered position. Richard Moore, the head gardner, gave the members a short talk about the garden and the restoration of the Victorian glasshouses, before they walked through the rare plants and unusual areas of all shades of green, followed by tea and cake.